Due to an excessive heat warning that has been issued by the National Weather Service, additional daytime cooling stations are being activated in the Vegas Valley for Sunday, Aug. 16, and Monday, Aug. 17, and in Laughlin from today through Monday.
In some areas in the City of Henderson, power may continue to be out due to recent storm conditions.
The American Red Cross has opened two emergency shelters for Henderson residents that don’t have power. The Downtown Recreation Center, 105 W. Basic Rd. and the Heritage Park Senior Facility, 300 S. Racetrack Rd. will be open 24 hours. The shelters cannot accept pets.
For more information about the shelters, what to do with your pets, or if you need help with transportation, call 702-267-2950.
The cooling stations are in addition to the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition’s Inclement Weather Shelter Program, which provides daytime shelter every day during the summer at the following locations:
- Catholic Charities, 1511 N. Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (For men only.)
- The Salvation Army, 31 W. Owens Ave., North Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (For adults only.)
- The Shade Tree, 1 W. Owens Ave., North Las Vegas, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (For women and children only.)
The following locations will be open as cooling stations Monday, Aug. 17:
- Cambridge Recreation Center, 3930 Cambridge St., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dula Gymnasium, 441 E. Bonanza Road, Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Hollywood Recreation Center, 1650 S. Hollywood Blvd., Las Vegas, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Walnut Recreation Center, 3075 N. Walnut Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Pearson Community Center, 1625 W. Carey Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Valley View Recreation Center, 500 Harris St. (at Basic Road), Henderson, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Black Mountain Recreation Center, 599 Greenway Road (at East Horizon Drive), Henderson, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Whitney Ranch Recreation Center, 1579 Galleria Drive (at Patrick Lane), Henderson, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The following locations will be open Sunday and Monday.
- Veterans Village, 1150 Las Vegas Blvd. South, Las Vegas, 24 hours
- Islamic Society of Nevada, 4730 E. Desert Inn Road, Las Vegas, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
These locations in Laughlin will be open now through Monday.
- Colorado River Food Bank, 240 Laughlin Civic Drive, Laughlin, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Richard Springston American Legion building, 1510 Bruce Woodbury Drive, Laughlin, 24 hours.
Anyone may dial 2-1-1 from any phone to find the nearest cooling station, or visit www.HelpHopeHome.org
The public is encouraged to avoid heat-related problems by drinking more water than usual and seeking shade or cool areas during the day. Children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles. Symptoms of heat exhaustion include heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps and dizziness.