Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Carbon monoxide detector alerts residents of 'silent killer'

Reported by: Amber Dixon
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 12/26/2013 9:55 am
LAS VEGAS (KSNV -- Firefighters say the kitchen produces the most carbon monoxide because of flames from the stove and oven, but you'll never see the deadly gas, and you'll never smell it. That's why firefighters say a carbon monoxide detector is crucial.

If too much of the gas collects, it can kill. But your body will not know that you're being overcome.

An alarm may have prevented a tragic 2004 accident when a gas generator in the garage killed a Las Vegas family of three.

Tim Szymanski of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue has other examples:

In the winter months, people open the oven to use it for heat. This will produce more deadly gas than it does heat.

Around Thanksgiving or Christmas, you have people baking in the oven. They have the vent running up above, but that only works if it's vented to the outside. The way you check is to see if you have a pipe going to the outside.

Also at this time of year, people bring outside cooking devices into the home. Ventilation is key.


All content © Copyright 2015 Sinclair Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at ml-lasvegas-ksnv-comments-&

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2015 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.