Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Cooking fire damages condo unit, displaces one woman

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/03/2014 10:15 pm
LAS VEGAS (Las Vegas Sun) -- A woman’s home was destroyed after a cooking fire erupted inside her kitchen this evening.

The woman told fire officials that she had fallen asleep while cooking when heavy flames broke out about 6 p.m. in the Desert Garden Townhomes, 1720 W. Bonanza Road.

When firefighters arrived heavy flames were coming out the downstairs window of a two-story stucco condo building with 12 units. The fire was extending into the upstairs bedroom window when firefighters arrived. Firefighters entered the unit and brought the fire under control in about three minutes. 

Damage was estimated at $35,000. This is the first working fire in the city of Las Vegas this year. Cooking fires are the leading reason of fires in Las Vegas as well as the rest of the country. Unattended cooking is the main reason for cooking fires.

The American Red Cross is helping the displaced woman. She was not hurt.

-- Ana Ley / Las Vegas Sun contributed to this report



All content © Copyright 2015 Sinclair Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at ml-lasvegas-ksnv-comments-&

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2015 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.