LAS VEGAS -- A cooking fire caused $50,000 in damage and displaced eight people Sunday afternoon southeast of Las Vegas.
Las Vegas firefighters responded to 2017 Wengert Ave. (Eastern/Charleston) after 9-1-1 dispatchers received several calls at 2:44 p.m. that a house was on fire.
When firefighters arrived, heavy flames were showing out the front door of a one story/wood frame house. Firefighters were met by family members and they told them that everyone was out of the house.
It only took firefighters a few minutes to bring the fire under control. They found the kitchen heavily involved with fire. The fire also extended into the dining room and into the attic area above the kitchen. The rest of the house had heat and smoke damage.
Damage was estimated at $50,000.
Occupants told firefighters they were cooking on the stove using cooking oil when it flashed on fire. The fire quickly got out of control, all the occupants escaped without injury.
The American Red Cross is assisting the five adults and three children that live in the house with housing and belonging assistance.
The fire occurred on the first day of Fire Prevention Week. This year’s theme is “Preventing Kitchen Fires” the leading cause of fires in Las Vegas and the leading reason why people are injured by fire.
Cooking fires occur almost daily somewhere in the Las Vegas Valley. Just after this fire, firefighters responded to a fire in an oven of a home near Vegas Drive and North Rancho Drive. The fire was confined to the oven.
-- Las Vegas Fire & Rescue news release