LAS VEGAS -- Fire investigators ruled that a fire Saturday afternoon in a garage behind a vacant house at 4612 Providence Lane (Meadows/Decatur) was accidental, the result of children playing with fire.
Two of the children sustained very minor but painful burns. No one was displaced.
One of the children called 9-1-1 dispatchers and told them of the fire at 2:22 p.m. When firefighters arrived they found the fire in a large concrete block garage that had four old cars parked inside, with minor fire inside a side door. Firefighters had the fire out in less than a minute.
The fire was confined to the garage, Damage was estimated at $10,000.
Two of three children who were playing with fire were taken to the hospital with a small burn to one leg on each child. Although the burn was small, it was extremely painful and they were taken to the hospital for treatment. They are expected to be released later today after treatment.
The three children told fire investigators they had a highway flare and started it. It started some other items on fire and they tried to stomp the fire out. That is when two of them got burned. They left the scene and went home and called 9-1-1 for help.
The children along with the parents will be referred to the Juvenile Firesetter Intervention Program which works with children and parents about the dangers of playing with fire. It is intended to prevent another occurrence of playing with fire in the future.
-- news release