LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3) — A Clark County Family Court judge vowed Thursday to seek the closure of state-run facilities for youth offenders if the Governor’s office does not respond to allegations of abuse.
In a courtroom exchange with a deputy attorney general for the Nevada Division of Child and Family Services, Judge William Voy said, “When you treat a kid like an animal, you get an animal.”
Voy told Deputy Attorney General Shannon Richards he expects to hear from Gov. Brian Sandoval’s office regarding reports of abuse of teens being held at the state’s youth offender facilities in Elko and Caliente.
After hearing reports of improper restraint and isolation of teens at the Elko center, Voy last week ordered 12 Clark County juvenile offenders returned to southern Nevada.
In Thursday’s hearing, where he heard more details about alleged abuse, Voy said he was concerned staff at the Caliente Center, two hours north of Las Vegas, were using mechanical restraints on offenders while they were in isolation.
Voy set another hearing on the allegations for next week.