Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Fire officials urge caution cooking on backyard grills

Reported by: Vicki Gonzalez
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 9/03/2014 10:17 am

HENDERSON, Nev. -- A Henderson family is recovering from a fire that started during a backyard barbeque on Sunday. Investigators say a propane tank is likely to blame and urge residents to learn from what happened.

Nobody was injured and the family's two cats were also spared, but even though it's the end of summer and many have enjoyed a fair amount of barbecues this summer, fire officials warn not to get complacent when dealing with fire.

This Labor Day weekend spark could have tuned into a catastrophe.

Henderson fire battalion Chief Doug Koopman and his crew on Sunday responded to family BBQ that got out of hand due to a neglected grill.

The aftermath of the flames were still clearly visible to the outside of the patio where the paint was still blackened Monday afternoon. Luckily, Henderson fire was able to put out the flames in 10 minutes with a fire hydrant in the front yard of the residence.

Aside from the cosmetic damage of about $50,000, the homeowners will be able to move back into the home in about six weeks.



All content © Copyright 2015 Sinclair Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at ml-lasvegas-ksnv-comments-&

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2015 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.