Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Speedway parking issue trapped thousands after Kobalt 400

LAS VEGAS, NV - MARCH 09: Dale Earnhardt Jr., driver of the #88 Mountain Dew Kickstart Chevrolet, leads Brad Keselowski, driver of the #2 Miller Lite Ford, during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on March 9, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  (Photo by Sean Gardner/NASCAR via Getty Images) (Sean Gardner, 2014 NASCAR)
Kobalt 400 (Sean Gardner, 2014 NASCAR)
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 3/11/2014 9:56 am
LAS VEGAS (KSNV -- The president of Las Vegas Motor Speedway has apologized and taken the blame for a parking lot miss-communication that left several thousand fans locked into a general admission lot for nearly an hour after Sunday's Kobalt 400.

"We made a big mistake and I assure you that it won't happen again," LVMS President Chris Powell told News 3 this afternoon. "There were thousand of cars trapped. It was a break down of communications on our part and I take the blame for that."

Las Vegas resident David Morehouse said he left the race early in attempt to get ahead of the expected traffic jam. He said all general (nonpaid) cars were held in their lots while those who paid for parking were allowed to go first. He said a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper and LVMS parking staffers confirmed that decision made by LVMS management.

Morehouse sent an email to News 3 on Sunday night, which said in part:

"No one, from any nonpaid parking lot was allowed to leave the raceway until 45 minutes after the checkered flag. And that was just when the gates were opened to lot number 7. I was in a lot adjacent to number 7 (I assume it was lot 8, or 9), and I would have had to wait for lot  number 7 to empty, which would have been another hour at least."

"People in the lot I was in began to confront the officers and parking attendants. Tempers were beyond hot, and people were now threatening police officers. Police officers were threatening back, and began targeting people for arrest." 

"Minutes before it was going to erupt into a full-scale riot, a state trooper lieutenant, came up to the gate and in complete frustration, ordered the troopers off the post. In so doing, he allowed all lots to begin emptying. This was 59 minutes after the end of the race, and easily two hours from the time thousands of us who tried to leave early, before the official end of the race, were permitted through the gates."

Morehouse has pressed his complaint to the mayor's office.

Powell said the LVMS lots were empty two hours and 45 minutes after the race concluded, and says the NASCAR standard for races with more than 100,000 attendees is to have the lots cleared in three hours.

News 3 has called Powell and awaits an answer on Morehouse's claims that all nonpaid parkers were blocked in. 



All content © Copyright 2015 Sinclair Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at ml-lasvegas-ksnv-comments-&

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2015 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.