Latest News from News 3

Las Vegas News | Weather | Sports | Traffic - MyNews3

Suspect facing Arizona child abduction charges kills himself

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 10/17/2013 2:55 pm
YUMA, Ariz. (KSNV – An Arizona firefighter arrested for kidnapping his 5-month-old daughter -- sparking an Amber Alert that led authorities on a search through Las Vegas and ended in Utah -- has committed suicide.

According to a report in the Yuma Daily Sun, Jeff Green, 47, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Yuma County Sheriff's Office spokesman Alfonzo Zavala said that his body was found at a home in the 3200 block of West Patricia Lane on Wednesday morning.

The initial investigation from the Yuma Police Department revealed that Green took Aleeha Green, his biological daughter, from her mother on Sept. 17 after an argument about custody issues, according to the report. Green had no custodial rights. At the time, Green had made suicidal comments to family and may have been in possession of a firearm.

Green was reportedly seen at 7 a.m. Sept. 18 near Boulder City. The Nevada Highway Patrol also reported that Green’s phone signal was tracked that afternoon to a location near Sahara and Las Vegas boulevards, near the Stratosphere.

Green was spotted and followed by two Utah Highway Patrol officers who were waiting at the state line after learning of the kidnapping, authorities said. Once Green realized he was being followed, he pulled over.

At some point before arriving in Utah, Green reportedly attempted to disguise his truck by hand painting it with white primer. Even though the truck was now a different color, the UHP officers confirmed the truck belonged to Green by matching the license plate number with information provided via the Amber Alert.

Green was arrested at about 2:30 p.m. Sept. 18 near St. George, Utah. The child was not harmed and was taken into state custody until family members arrived, highway patrol troopers said.

Green was later taken to the Washington County Jail where he eventually posted a $100,000 bail and returned to Yuma.

A Yuma County grand jury indicted Green in September. He was arraigned this month and had a court date scheduled for Nov. 19.


All content © Copyright 2015 Sinclair Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service
You may also view our Sitemap.

FCC assistance for any person with disabilities can be provided by contacting us at

KSNV Profile & Public Inspection Files

2015 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.