LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3.com) – A Clark County grand jury indicted a 54-year-old man over threats made to Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman.
Alfred Blackwell, 54, is facing two counts of intimidating a public officer. The district attorney’s office said Blackwell was upset over a workman’s compensation claim.
According to the arrest report in the case, Blackwell was frustrated with a workers compensation claim he had filed.
Police believe he tried to take his frustrations out on the mayor by sending a letter.
In the letter he went on to say he was "as serious as cancer and more direct than a heart attack."
Police say Blackwell went on to leave his name in the letter and included a return address. Detectives were able to down using that information.
The arrest report says detectives asked Blackwell if he knew why they were taking him in.
He responded, "I sure do, it's about the letter I sent the mayor."
Districe Attorney Steve Wolfson says we all have the right to free speech, but there are limits.
Also indicted today:
Sinder Holmes, 17, on six counts of sexual assault with use of a deadly weapon, and one count each of conspiracy to commit kidnapping; first-degree kidnapping with use of a deadly weapon; battery with intent to commit sexual assault; and conspiracy to commit sexual assault.
According to the Las Vegas Sun, Holmes and a man grabbed a woman who had just left the Wynn in 2001 and couldn’t find her friends, Chief Deputy District Attorney Lisa Luzaich said. They dragged her to a parking lot and sexually assaulted her, leaving her badly injured, Luzaich said.
It took years to track down the suspect, said Luzaich, who asked District Court Judge Linda Bell to set bail at $1 million.
Luzaich said Holmes was an “extreme danger” to the community and was known for freight-hopping and using aliases.
Bell set the bail at $500,000; Holmes remains in custody.
Holmes’ attorney Kevin Speed pointed out that his client was 15 at the time of the alleged crime and had been homeless since his early teens.
Speed said the other suspect is older, still at large, as far as he and his client know, and was believed to be the person who threatened the woman with a knife.
An arraignment in Clark County District Court is set for Nov. 14.
Tony Richardson, 25, for murder with use of a deadly weapon; possession of a firearm by an ex-felon; and preventing or dissuading witness or victim from reporting crime or commencing prosecution.
Richardson was arrested Oct. 21 for the Aug. 11 death of Stacey Randolph which occurred in the 1700 block of North J Street.
Trevor Burns and Javis Blake, on five counts of first-degree kidnapping with use of a deadly weapon; two counts each of robbery with use of a deadly weapon and burglary will in possession of a firearm; and one count each of conspiracy to commit robbery and conspiracy to commit kidnapping.
Burns also faces one count each of battery with use of a deadly weapon; and assault with a deadly weapon.
Raul Hernandez, 36, on two counts of trafficking in a controlled substance; and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm.